I recently discovered this surprisingly delicious flourless chocolate cake on the allrecipes.com site. It's the easiest cake I've ever made! In addition to being gluten-free it's also very high in protein due to the main ingredient; are you ready for it? Garbanzo beans! I know what you're thinking, sounds gross, right? I thought the same thing until I made it. It was so chocolaty and decadent it even fooled my chocoholic father-in-law! This little beauty makes for a dramatic dessert for company. Top it with some fresh fruit and a dollop of whipped cream and your guests will think you spent forever in the kitchen!
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent.
- Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the sugar and the baking powder, and pulse to blend. Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.